On March 14, 2011, the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program expanded the Strategic Recruitment Stream to include both Compulsory and Designated Trades. Under the program, temporary foreign workers in Alberta can apply for permanent residency if:
- They intend to and be able to live and work permanently in Alberta.
- They have an Alberta Qualification Certificate in a compulsory or optional trade.
- They have an AINP invitation letter from Alberta Industry Training.
- They are residing in Alberta at the time of application and possess valid work permits from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) in the trade in which they are certified.
- They are either currently working in their trade for an Alberta Employer or have previously worked in their trade with an Alberta Employer for a minimum of six months in the past two years.
A list of the compulsory and optional trades can be found on the Alberta government’s website here.