New Skilled Trades Class

New Skilled Trades Class

On August 17, 2012, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (“CIC”) announced that it would be introducing the Federal Skilled Trades Class (“FSTC”), a new program which will facilitate the immigration of certain skilled tradespersons in Canada.

The program is expected to be introduced on January 1, 2013.

The FSTC will be open to individuals with experience in the following National Occupation Classification (“NOC“) B occupational areas:

  • Industrial, Electrical and Construction Trades;
  • Maintenance and Equipment Operation Trades;
  • Supervisors and Technical Occupations in Natural Resources, Agriculture and Related Production;
  • Processing, Manufacturing and Utilities Supervisors and Central Control Operators;
  • Chefs and Cooks; and
  • Bakers and Butchers.

Applicants to the FSTC will be required to meet the following four minimum requirements:

  1. Be working in Canada, or possess a LMO-supported offer of employment from up to two employers in Canada of at least one year duration, or possess a Certificate of Qualification from a provincial or territorial Apprenticeship Authority;
  2. Meet the same minimum language threshold as required by the concurrently to be introduced new Federal Skilled Worker Class, namely a 7.0 on every language ability;
  3. Have twenty-four months of work experience (after qualification/certification in the country where the work was performed, where applicable) in the same skilled trade as which they are applying under in the last five years; and
  4. Have qualifications that satisfy employment requirements as described by the NOC, except for certification and licensing requirements.

2 thoughts on “New Skilled Trades Class

  1. Dear Sir/Madam,
    For Skilled Trade persons as per new rules, I wish to ask here you have mentioned “or possess a Certificate of Qualification from a provincial or territorial Apprenticeship Authority”, means a person who has already in Canada or Can anybody, who did not go to Canada before, can get this certificate from a provincial or territorial Apprenticeship Authority in Canada from his/her home country? While Arranged Employment (Offer of Employment) can get from outside Canada.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *