The Ottawa Citizen today published two more interesting pieces on the Immigration and Refugee Board and the Federal Court.
The first is titled “Access to Justice Should Not Look Like a Lottery“.
Did you know that:
- Federal court judges deny 85% of all leave applications?
- That once leave is the success rate is almost half?
- That one judge granted leave in 60% of all cases, while another granted leave in less than 1.5% of cases?
Interesting tidbits here include that:
- That last year seven IRB members approved fewer than 10% of the asylum claims that they heard. By contrast, 15 members approved 70 percent or more of the claims that they ruled on.
- One approved 94% of her claims, the other approved 0%.
- IRB members make $120,000 per year.