Live-In Caregiver Program

The Live-In Caregiver Program allows employers to employee foreign live-in caregivers when Canadian workers or permanent residents are not available, They can help families care for children, the elderly or persons with disabilities.

A foreign live-in caregiver who wants to work in Canada must have received a job offer from a Canadian employer. Employers who want to hire live-in caregivers must apply to Human Resources and Skills Development Canada/Service Canada for a labour market opinion.

The live-in caregiver must:

  • Work for the employer in a private home;
  • Live in a private, furnished room in the employer’s household, or in the household where care is to be provided; and
  • Be employed on a full-time basis.

The employer must:

  • Pay for the caregiver’s health insurance at no cost to the caregiver until he/she becomes eligible for provincial health insurance;
  • Enroll the live-in caregiver in provincial workplace safety insurance (also known as workers’ compensation) or equivalent insurance;
  • Pay for the services, fees and costs of a recruitment or third party agency if you are using one for recruiting the caregiver. Employers are not permitted to recoup recruitment fees from live-in caregivers.
  • Pay for transportation costs for the caregiver to travel from the caregiver’s country of permanent residence to the location of work in Canada (where caregiving will take place);
  • Keep records of the number of regular and overtime hours the live-in caregiver has worked on a weekly/monthly basis.
  • Review and adjust the foreign caregiver’s wages to ensure they meet or exceed HRSDC’s requirements; and
  • Ensure that the employer is identified on the work permit as being the employer.

Going for Permanent Residency

Live-in caregivers working in Canada under the Live-in Caregiver Program have up to four years from the date of their arrival in Canada to complete the employment requirement to be eligible for permanent residence under the live-in caregiver class.

They may choose between two options for calculating their employment requirement for permanent residence:

  • 24 months of authorized full-time employment, or
  • 3,900 hours (within a minimum of 22 months which may include a maximum of 390 hours of overtime) of authorized full-time employment.