Last Updated on January 10, 2011 by Steven Meurrens

We are often asked whether getting a student permit, work permit, visitor visa, etc. will result in an individual being eligible for MSP in British Columbia.

The Medicare Protection Act states that a citizen who makes his or her home in British Columbia and is physically present in British Columbia for at least 6 months per year can enroll for MSP.

The Medical and Health Services Regulation state that the following people residing in British Columbia can also enroll in MSP:

  • A person admitted to Canada as a student for a period of 6 or more months;
  • A person admitted to work in Canada for 6 or more months;
  • A diplomat accredited to represent another country in Canada;
  • A spouse or child of a resident if the person has applied for permanent resident status and as long as the application remains active;
  • A person who is a spouse or child of a resident and the resident has filed with Citizenship and Immigration Canada an undertaking to assist the person and paid the fee required by Citizenship and Immigration;
  • A child adopted, or being adopted, by a resident;
  • A person who has applied for permanent resident status and as a result has been issued a permit by the federal minister for immigration if the issuance of the permit has been recommended by the committee established by the minister responsible for the Medicare Protection Act;

Tourists and visitors cannot enroll in MSP.