Last Updated on March 21, 2012 by Steven Meurrens
Quebec Caps Economic Immigration
On March 21, 2012, the Government of Quebec announced that it is capping the maximum number of applications that it will receive in its economic programs. The programs that will be subject to a cap are the Quebec Investor Program, the Quebec Entrepreneur Program, the Quebec Self-Employed Worker Program, and the Quebec Skilled Worker Program . The introduction of the caps follows a dramatic increase in applications to these programs following the implementation of caps to corresponding federal programs.
The caps will last from March 21, 2012 to March 31, 2013.
During this time, the maximum number of applicants that can apply to immigrate to Quebec in the business stream are:
- Investors – 2700
- Entrepreneurs and Self-Employed Workers – 215
Meanwhile, for the purpose of determining the cap, the Quebec Skilled Worker Program has been divided into three groups.
There will be no limit on the number of people who can apply to the Quebec Skilled Worker Program – Group 1. To be eligible for Group 1, an applicant must be (please note that most of the following requirements contain specific additional provisions that are beyond the scope of this bulletin):
- A temporary foreign worker in Quebec who meets the requirements of the Quebec Experience Class (“PEQ”);
- A foreign graduate in Quebec who meets the eligibility requirements of the PEQ;
- A foreign student in Quebec who is eligible to apply for a selection certificate under the regular skilled workers program;
- A participant in Quebec under an International Experience Canada program who is eligible to apply under the regular skilled worker program;
- A recent graduate in an area of training that is eligible for 12 or 16 points under the Quebec Skilled Worker Program selection grid;
- In possession of an employment offer made by a Quebec employer which has been validated by the Ministère de l’Immigration et des Communautés culturelles;
- Be someone who has an application for permanent residence in Canada in processing that Citizenship and Immigration Canada has determined is admissible for processing; or
- Be a former Canadian citizen residing in Quebec who is submitting an application in Quebec.
Only 14,300 people will be eligible to apply to the Quebec Skilled Worker Program – Group 2. To be eligible for Group 2, an applicant must be:
- A recent graduate in a field of training that is eligible for 6 points under the Quebec Skilled Worker Program selection grid; or
- A recent graduate from a Quebec institution.
Group 3 will consist of individuals who used to be eligible for the Quebec Skilled Worker Program but do not fall under Group 1 or Group 2. The Government of Quebec will not accept applications from these individuals this year.
More information about the cap can be found on the Government of Quebec website here: http://www.immigration-
Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns about this change.