Last Updated on September 20, 2013 by Steven Meurrens

The following is an e-mail exchange between an immigration representative and Citizenship and Immigration Canada regarding Education Points under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, as well as a question about On Campus Work Permits.

Please note that what I have reproduced below should not be viewed as legal advice.  The reproduction of question and answer has not occurred with the affiliation of the Government of Canada, nor with the endorsement of the Government of Canada.

Question – May 06, 2013

Dear Sir / Madam,

I have two questions:

1. For submissions under the Federal Skilled Worker Program, do applicants need to submit proof of completion of secondary school if their highest level of education is a bachelor’s degree (or higher)?  In other words, is documentation required for all secondary and post-secondary students, or just for the highest level of education claimed?

2. Is there a maximum number of hours that a student with a valid study permit can work ON campus?  I understand that Off-campus work permit holders can only work 20 hours and I was wondering if the same restriction applies to On-campus work.

Best regards,

Answer – May 27, 2013

1) As noted in the Federal Skilled Worker Program application guide, in order to meet the minimum education requirement, all applicants must submit proof of:

  • a completed Canadian secondary or post-secondary credential, or
  • a completed foreign educational credential and an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report issued by an organization designated by CIC if their educational credential was obtained outside Canada.  The ECA report must confirm the equivalency of the completed foreign educational credential to a completed Canadian secondary or post-secondary educational credential.

An applicant submitting proof of a Canadian post-secondary educational credential (or an equivalent foreign educational credential) does not need to also submit proof of completion of a secondary educational credential.

2) There is no restriction on the number of hours that a student with a valid study permit can work on campus.

However, as per section 5.21 of OP12, “to be eligible for employment on campus, the student:

  • be registered full-time at a public university, community college, CEGEP, publicly funded trade/technical school or private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees; 
  • be in possession of a valid and subsisting study permit; and
  • work on campus at the institution where they are registered, whether for the institution itself or for a private business located on campus.