Performing Artists and Work Permits

5th Jan 2016 Comments Off on Performing Artists and Work Permits

Last updated on July 22nd, 2018

I was recently asked whether an opera singer working in Canada for three months requires a work permit and a Labour Market Impact Assessment.  The answer is.. it depends.

Section 186(g) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (“IRPR“) provides that:

Work Without a Work Permit

186. A foreign national may work in Canada without a work permit

(g) as a performing artist appearing alone or in a group in an artistic performance — other than a performance that is primarily for a film production or a television or radio broadcast — or as a member of the staff of such a performing artist or group who is integral to the artistic performance, if

(i) they are part of a foreign production or group, or are a guest artist in a Canadian production or group, performing a time-limited engagement, and

(ii) they are not in an employment relationship with the organization or business in Canada that is contracting for their services.

No Work Permit Required

Examples of performing artists who do not need a work permit to work in Canada include:

  • Foreign-based musical and theatrical individuals and groups and their essential crew;
  • street performers (buskers), DJs;
  • busking;
  • a foreign or traveling circus;
  • guest artists (not employed) within a Canadian performance group for a time-limited engagement;
  • wrestlers from the World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. (WWE) (and similar groups);
  • persons performing at a private event for a time-limited engagement, such as a wedding;
  • air show performers;
  • conductors;
  • artists working at or attending a showcase or workshop;

 » Read more about: Performing Artists and Work Permits  »

Read more ›