On June 18, 2019 Canada launched the Home Child-Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot.
The Home Child-Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot are 2 economic pilot programs targeted to foreign national caregivers who:
- have a job offer or Canadian work experience in an eligible caregiver occupation; and
- meet minimum education and language proficiency requirements.
The ability to be a foreign caregiver in Canada has largely been restricted to these two programs as the Department of Employment and Social Development Canada has issued Ministerial Instructions refusing to process Labour Market Impact Assessments for caregivers.
A maximum of 2,750 complete applications will be processed per year in each pilot.
Applicants with 24 Months or more of Eligible Experience
Applicants with 24 months or more of eligible Canadian work experience must satisfy the following criteria:
- meet the minimum language requirements of Canadian Language Benchmark 5 in Listening, Reading, Speaking and Writing;
- meet the minimum education requirements of having either a Canadian one-year post secondary (or higher) educational credential or a foreign educational credential that is equivalent to a completed one-year Canadian post-secondary (or higher) educational credential;
- meet the work experience requirement; and
- be admissible to Canada.
Eligible Canadian experience must be full-time work of at least 30 hours per week in the following applications:
- Home Child-Care Providers (except for foster parents);
- Home Support Workers.
Housekeepers and related occupations are not eligible to apply.
Canadian work experience does not need to be continuous to qualify, but the period of 24 months of required employment does not include
- any extended absence from Canada (including any time worked for an employer outside Canada);
The following article appeared in the January edition of The Canadian Immigrant. At the end of the article I have reproduced two Access to Information Act which confirm the great reduction in the program.Read more ›