Educational Credential Assessments

18th Apr 2013 Comments Off on Educational Credential Assessments

Last updated on November 16th, 2021

An Educational Credential Assessment is a report by a designated company company that evaluates an individual’s foreign education and compares it to a Canadian equivalent. It is necessary to be eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Program, to get education points in Express Entry and for certain provincial nomination programs.

The designated organizations are:

The Medical Council of Canada has been designated only for those applicants who intend to apply with “specialist physician” or “general practitioner/family physician” as their primary occupation in their application.

I have browsed the websites of each of the above agencies, and produced the table below.  Getting educational credentials assessed is going to be a very time consuming process.  Right now the World Education Services website strongly suggests that it is faster, cheaper, and less document heavy than the other two organizations.  However, I would not be surprised if competition forces the other two organizations to change, and applicants are advised to check all websites to determine which one agency would be best for them.

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (“IRCC”) will follow what a designated entity states in its Educational Credential Assessment (an “ECA”).  In Ijaz v. Canada (Citizenship and Immigration), 2015 FC 67, the Federal Court of Canada affirmed that that visa officers can simply follow exactly what an ECA,

 » Read more about: Educational Credential Assessments  »

Read more ›