On April 25, 2012, Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (“Service Canada”) launched two initiatives that will significantly change the process by which Canadian employers interested in hiring foreign workers apply for Labour Market Opinions (“LMO”). These are the Accelerated Labour Market Opinion Initiative (“A-LMO”) and the introduction of online applications.
The purpose of the A-LMO is to reduce LMO processing times. Service Canada has indicated that their objective is that A-LMO applications will be processed in 10 business days, a significant reduction from the current average LMO processing time of 2-4 months.
In addition to reduced processing times, the A-LMO will also feature:
- A reduction in the amount of documentation that employers have to submit to Service Canada when they apply for their A-LMO. Significantly, employers will no longer have to submit proof of recruitment.
- Flexibility on the prevailing wage. A wage of up to 15% less than the prevailing wage for an occupation will be accepted provided that the employer pays similar wages to Canadians and permanent residents employed in the same occupation.
- A waiver of the mandatory in-depth interview.
To be eligible to participate in the A-LMO, an employer must:
- Have been issued at least 1 positive LMO within the last 2 years;
- Have a clean record of compliance with the Temporary Foreign Worker Program within the last 2 years;
- Not have been the subject of an investigation, infraction, or a serious complaint; and
- Not have any unresolved violations or contraventions under provincial laws governing employment and recruitment.
Eligible employers can only apply under the A-LMO if they are trying to fill a high-skilled position classified under the National Occupational Classification skill type 0,Read more ›
A reminder to employers that as a result of the global recession, concurrent processing for work permits and labour market opinions are no longer available. Not only that, but all Labour Market Opinions now expire six months after issuance.Read more ›