Last Updated on November 12, 2011 by Steven Meurrens

A couple days ago I received a question regarding whether someone who is a Hong Kong national needs a medical exam to study in Canada.

Foreign students have the same medical requirements as those that apply to work or simply visit Canada.

Generally, no medical examination is required for people who intend to visit Canada for six months or less unless they intend to work in certain designated occupations.

If the duration of the student’s visit is more then six months, then a medical examination will be required if they will also work in one of the above designated occupations, or, if they have resided or stayed temporarily for six or more consecutive months in a designated country or territory in the one year immediately preceding the date that they seek entry to Canada.

In other words, it is not a country of nationality or citizenship.  It is a question of where you have been.  An American who spent six months volunteering in a designated country will need a medical examination.

The designated country list can be found here.

As for the Hong Kong national, assuming that he spent six months or more in Hong Kong prior to seeking entry to Canada, then the answer would be “yes, he needs a medical if his intended period of studies is six months or more.”