Canadian immigration legislation provides that a Canadian citizen or permanent resident may sponsor their spouse, common-law partner, child, parents or grand-parents to immigrate to Canada.  It also provides that in certain circumstances a Canadian may sponsor another relative. Section 117(1)(h) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (“IRPR“) provides that: A foreign national is a member of the family class if, with respect to a sponsor, the foreign national is a relative of the sponsor, regardless of age, if the sponsor does not have a spouse, a common-law partner, a conjugal partner, a […]

Read more ›