Which Tests are Acceptable for Immigration?

Meurrens LawImmigration Trends

My June article in Canadian Immigration Magazine titled “Learn the Language” has generated considerable feedback, not least of which has been the question “am I sure that xxxx language test isn’t accepted for immigration?”

Right now, the four main programs which require language tests are the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the Canadian Experience Class, (soon) the Provincial Nominee Programs, and (soon) citizenship.

For the Federal Skilled Worker Program, the designated language testing agencies are the IELTS, the CELPIP, and the TEF.

For the Canadian Experience Class, the only test results that are accepted are the IELTS and the TEF. You can find this in third last question of the program’s FAQ here.

For the PNP, the acceptable language tests will be the IELTS, CELPIP-General, and the TEF.

The tests for citizenship have not yet been formally announced, however, the announcement that language testing will be required states that they will be the same as for the above programs.

The follow-up question has generally been “who chooses which testing agencies are acceptable?”  To be honest, I’m not sure.  However, there are generally public consultations prior to language testing being introduced into a program, so if you want to have a certain agency’s test qualify, perhaps contact your local Member of Parliament or Citizenship and Immigration Canada to learn how to attend a stakeholder meeting.

CELPIP Agreement